Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Big Day

Dear Sam,
Today is a big day for you! In a few minutes, you will come down the stairs and give your daddy and me a big hug. Then, your brother will follow right after you and we'll have breakfast together. We will then all get ready to take you to kindergarten! I can't believe this day is here. It seems like yesterday that I was holding a little tiny baby boy, asking the Lord to help me mother the way He wanted me to. Before you were born, I read something that said that kids spend half of their time at home during their first five years. We've had a blast these past five years, son! It is really hard for me to swallow that you will be in someone else's care more than you are in mine, but that is going to happen. It is the way it's supposed to be. I wish I could keep you as a little boy forever, but that's not normal. Growing up is, and you are doing so well at it! There are so many things that I want to let you know before you go to kindergarten. We've had these conversations a lot lately. Some of the things I want you to know, I'm not sure you understand, but that's ok.

Your dad and I love you.
You are a smart, wonderful kid.
There is nothing you can do to make us not love you.
Making straight A's is not going to make us love you more.
We want you to do your best.
We pray for you every day.
We pray for you throughout the day.
I am going to miss you (I can't tell you that right now, but I am).
Your brother is going to miss you.
You light up every room you walk into.
You are a great thinker.
You ask important questions...keep doing that.
You don't take something as truth just because someone says it...keep doing that.
You care deeply that people understand truth...keep doing that.
You don't care what people think about you...keep doing that.
It's ok to make mistakes...we will be here for you and will help you through them.
Please don't beat yourself up trying to be perfect...that's not a fun game.
We will always be proud of you.
We will always be here for you.
We will always love you.
We will always want the best for you.
You are very important.
Have fun...please don't be too serious.
Enjoy your friends.
Love learning.


We are so excited for you to start the journey of education! I can't believe it's here, but it is going to be fun. Everything with you is! I love you!
mom

2 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

So excited for little Sam and all of the McClures on such a special day. Will be praying for you as God leads you into this new season of life :-) Love everyone!

Anonymous said...

you are SUCH a great mom!!! Hope the entire day was a blessing to you!!!