Sunday, April 18, 2010

Splinters

I have a lot going on in my little life right now. Enough to let my mind get in a spin if I let it. I don't have major stuff, but I have a lot of stuff. Don't we all. David is traveling a lot right now and he is far, far away. Right now he is in an airplane to come home from Australia. Before that he was in Singapore and before that he was in Brazil. I can't explain how much I miss him. How much I tear up whenever the boys do something cute and wish he were here to experience it. Or, how much I really wish he were here when the boys need some serious discipline. We have a wedding that we are in this weekend, I am going to be traveling overseas, we have a vacation planned and we have another Family Promise week coming up. We have t-ball and swim lessons and preschool performances and Sam starts kindergarten in the fall. It's just a lot when I start thinking about it all in its totality. But, I try really hard to just take one day at a time.

Sam got splinters in his feet when we went to the beach last week. So did Wesley. When Michele and I started trying to get them out of the boys, you would have thought that we were torturing them. It was almost comical. And not. It was very, very dramatic. They both had lots of them and we decided that once we got the big ones out, we would just let the little ones get out on their own. After we got back from our trip, Sam prayed every night for his splinters to come out. One day in the car, Sam was talking about his splinters and about how much Ms. Michele and I had to work to get them out. He said, "mom, you know, sometimes if we just ask God to do stuff, it is much easier. He got my splinters out without it even hurting."

I was astonished. That little boy has no idea what a concept that is. That if we just let God do His thing, it is much easier, and often, a lot less painful. I decided while I was at church this morning to just ask God to take all of my little stuff...my splinters...and help me to let Him do His thing. To help me just focus on living a life that glorifies Him and to let Him do the rest. It really is a whole lot easier that way.

Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

4 comments:

kuykendall_family said...

Great post - I needed that! Don't we all seem to have a lot on our plates. Thankfully God has also given us each other to make it thru and to laugh about the craziness of it all!

The Skains Family said...

Sherry, I love reading your blog. You always say just what I need to hear. Just know God uses you so very often through the words you write. Thanks for always sharing. i miss you!

The Wiggins Family said...

oh man Sherri, it's like reading a devotional. Thank you for sharing this, I really needed to hear that this morning. I'm crying and very touched by Sam's simple truthful words. Good stuff!! love you.

chandel said...

I keep checking on here in hopes to see some wedding pics. I miss you guys terribly. Love from Africa.
See you in June.