Friday, February 29, 2008

I haven't blogged because....

We've had a lot going on in our house over the past couple of weeks.  Sadly, most of what we've had going on is a variety of illnesses.  No fun, but definitely something to keep me in a prayerful posture all the time!  We've had LOTS of tears over all of them, but we are recovering and feeling back to ourselves today!

It all started a couple of Saturdays ago when I woke up with my back killing me.  I really just thought I was tired, and that my back hurt because I spend all of my time sitting on the playroom floor, nursing a baby on the playroom floor, etc.  As the morning progressed, I started getting chills and knew that I needed to get myself to the doctor.  Thankfully, our primary doctor is open on Saturdays, so I got to go in and find out that I had a kidney infection.   The doctor told me that I had to quit nursing because of the antibiotic that I had to take.  He basically told me that I had to take this antibiotic or he was going to put me in the hospital.  I begged him to give me something else and he did.  But, he made me promise him that I would take the other medicine if I didn't feel better within 12-24 hours.  Well, I didn't.  So, for 10 days, I had to pump and dump every 3 hours as well as feed Jacob a bottle, sanitize it all and do all of this with Sam running around.  I honestly felt like a dairy cow.  Praise the Lord, Jacob took back to nursing like he never stopped and we are back to normal there. 

The same night that I went to the doctor, David and I went to a wedding.  It was amazingly beautiful and the service was so sweet.  It was such a precious time...and it was the first time for us to be away from the kids since Jacob was born.  I called my mom in between the service and the reception to check on the kids.  In the middle of our conversation, she says..."Sam just threw up...but he's fine...he didn't even stop talking."  I debated on whether or not to go home, but knew that he'd be going to bed in a matter of an hour, so it really would be ok if we stayed.  The next morning, Sam woke up just like normal...we even went to two parks that day!  A little while after we got home from the second park, Sam sat on the couch and told me that he didn't feel very well (yes, in those words), and so I held him.  When I held him, he started having chills and I could feel his fever starting to spike.  I immediately put him in the car to go to the er and the whole way there, he said, "everything hurts", "mama, hold me", and all other things that made me know he was sick.  By the time that we got there, he was so lethargic and didn't want to do anything.  He actually fell asleep in my arms.  They tried to give him some tylenol to get his fever down, but he threw it up.  After doing tests for flu, rsv and strep, they did xrays and found pneumonia.  Since he threw up, they said that they had to give him an iv to get the medicine in him.  Oh, it was awful.  It made me cry so hard, and it didn't help that the nurse was not very sympathetic.  I finally asked her if she had children and she didn't.  I told her that there was no possible way for her to understand what this was like if she didn't have kids.  It made me think of my friend, Joy, who has a little guy that has to get things like this done all of the time.  What strength she must have!  Within a little while of the medicine, Sam seemed like himself and we headed home.  

The next day, David woke up sick.  I told him that he had to go to the doctor because we needed to get well.  He had a sinus infection and bronchitis.  What in the world?!  I started asking the Lord if there was some unconfessed sin in our household.  Seriously, I just wanted our house to be well.  And we are almost there.  

This past Monday, Sam woke up with yucky eyes, so I took him to the doctor again and he had an ear infection, so we had to start another antibiotic.  This one kills his tummy and gives him horrible cramps.  I had the chance to go and be with my beloved LPM sisters on Wednesday and as we were at lunch, my mom called and told me that he was asking for me because his tummy hurt so bad.  Of course, I packed up my lunch, devoured it on the way home, and got home to comfort my little guy.  He's doing much better now, although his tummy still hurts after he takes the medicine for a couple of hours.  

So, we've been just trying to get well over the past couple of weeks.  I definitely think that we are almost there!  Tomorrow, I take Jacob to the doctor for his two month checkup and he has to get his shots, but thankfully, he hasn't caught anything that we've had in this house!  The most comforting thing to me over the past couple of week is that my Heavenly Father knows.  He knows.(Matthew 6:32)  As simple as that.  He knows all that I am going through and He is compassionate.  I can rest in the fact that He knows that I have two kids who are completely dependent on me.  I can know that He knows that I'm tired.  He is awake with me when Jacob is up from 1-4 and then Sam wakes up at 6.  He knows.  And, He is my strength.  He tells me that I can do it all through Him.  I don't know about you, but that is comfort to me.

6 comments:

The Skains Family said...

Oh my goodness Sherry. You have had a lot going one. I will pray for a healthy household for you guys. I hope you are able to get some rest!

Bryson's Mom said...

Bless your heart! I'm so sorry for all the sickness. I'm praying for your sweet family to get and stay well! Love you

Ashley Turnbull said...

We are glad you are bloggin' back! And, I cannot believe the sicknesses have continued! Please get better - loved all the new pics, too!

The Guess Family said...

Hey Sherry,
You are doing a great job!!! Life will get easier again. I pray that you are all well and enjoying your days again soon. We miss you!
Love
Kim

Amanda said...

It hurts me to know that you went through all of this. Especially the kicker at the end about Jacob being awake from 1-4 and Sam waking at 6. Oh, Sherry! Bless your heart! I am doing a happy dance for you though about Jacob taking back to nursing like a champ. Yeah!

The Wiggins Family said...

Sherri- I had no idea you were going through all this sickness. Thank you Lord for His grace and strength. I know I have depended on it for these days of sickness in our house. We are on the mend and slowly getting back to normal. I am looking forward to Spring!