Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Here We Go!

Well, tomorrow is the big day of Jacob's arrival. We are so excited to meet this little guy and so very thankful for the blessing of children! I have a c-section scheduled for 7:30 tomorrow morning!

I just put Sam down for his nap for the last time as an only child. After he wakes up, he is going to Mimi and Grandpa's to spend the night. David and I are going to go out to dinner and then head home to try to sleep before the morning. They will bring Sam to the hospital tomorrow to meet his little brother! I am so emotional right now that I can hardly see the computer screen, so please forgive me for any typos. I rocked Sam to sleep today because I just wanted to hold him. There are days when I still see him as a brand new born. Then, there are times when I look at him and wonder how in the world he got so big so fast. There's not a whole lot of baby left in my firstborn. But, today, the Lord was so sweet to me and Sam wanted to cuddle a lot and just looked at me once and said "I wuv u sweet mama." Maybe that's making me emotional. But, I looked at the little guy as I rocked him and thought of all of the things that I have learned from him. I have learned about boys in general. They like to run for no reason. They scream for no reason. They can melt your heart in a split second. They try to be bigger than they are. They can hold back tears. I have learned about tractors. excavators. bulldozers. I have learned from my firstborn that I can love someone more than I love myself. That I can put the needs of someone else in front of my own...because I want to. I have learned that running around the house in pajamas is really a lot of fun. That a hug for no reason is priceless. I cherish Sam so much. The last two years and seven months with him have been so much fun. I can't wait to see him as a big brother. I know that he will have adjustments, but I really do think he is ready to be a big brother. Sam will line his stuffed animals up and try to teach them. He reads to them. He bosses poor Tex around and gets upset that Tex doesn't understand. He loves to teach me things. He never stops talking. He is actually very gentle with other babies and he has been talking about how he is ready for Jacob to come out a lot lately. I'm not sure if he is just ready for mama to be able to run around the house again or what, but he is ready. I just don't know if I am!

So, I am thankful today. Thankful that I have had this time alone with Sam and thankful for the years ahead that he will be a big brother. What is so strange is that I know that Sam won't remember our time alone. He won't remember being an only child. I will never forget these last years and how being his mama has changed me completely. And, I will be forever thankful for them.

8 comments:

nancy said...

Beautiful thoughts from a beautiful mother - you do such a great job, and you will see how very easy it is to love TWO very special boys!!! even more, if you're brave! I love you so much, Sherry,and have been praying you through this special last week. Of course, you will be the very first thing I think about tomorrow when I open my eyes!!! Happy New Year, and enjoy your very precious new life about to join you!!! love you so....
nancy

Ashley Turnbull said...

Sherry, I am tearing up right now. That is a great post and one which you will be able to look back on in a few years with sentiment (aren't blogs great). I am so glad you can record these feelings that you have right now. We will be praying for you tomorrow and look forward to a new McClure.

Sarah said...

Sherry, Sam is going to be a great big brother! He is going to love having a brother to play with. I'll be praying for you tomorrow and can't wait to hear about Jacob's arrival!

Amanda said...

Sister, I am bawling. I will be praying for you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Sherry,
I remember feeling the exact same way! Of course you said it much more eliquently than I could have. :) You're life will change, and the dynamics will be different, but in ways that will bless you more than you can imagine.
I'm praying for you and Jacob.
Blessings for you all!
Kelly

Janelle and Ella said...

Amanda emailed me and told me I had to read this blog post. I am tearing up right now. Amanda and I have babies only 2 days apart and were in the hospital together. I can imagine how emotional this is. That last part about how he won't remember this time with just him being the only baby tore me up inside.
You are such a sweet mother and I know tomorrow will be so wonderful!

The Wiggins Family said...

What a blessing children are. I love you Sherry and pray this new little one bring lots more joy to your life. You will be a great mom of two boys! God will grow you in ways you never thought and it will be good. I am praying for you today!

The Skains Family said...

Well that made me cry Sherry. You are such a loving and wonderful mommy to Sam and I know you will be to Jacob as well. You have 2 very blessed little boys. I can hardly wait to see picture of the new addition to your family!