Wednesday, August 01, 2007

We have started working on Sam's "big boy" room! I am so excited about it. We got it painted this weekend and we are just waiting for the furniture and linens to arrive. It is going to be a construction theme and the sheets have all different types of construction vehicles on them in bright colors. I just got a plain comforter so that the room wouldn't be too exciting! My mom got him a lamp that has a concrete mixer as the base of the lamp, so we are just waiting! I don't mind waiting for a couple of reasons...first, I am terrified about Sam moving into a big bed because he'll be able to get out. But really, I don't mind waiting because giving him a big boy room means that he is becoming a big boy and this mama is having a hard time with that! He is just growing up so much. The other day, I was sitting, thinking about how the past two years have flown by and how Sam is becoming so much more independent of me. He is so precious and he is really becoming a little boy these days. I remember reading in Dobson's "Bringing Up Boys" that one of the most crucial times for boys to identify with their dads is between their second and third year because they start really detaching from their mom. It is so true! Sam would rather be covered from head to toe in dirt than anything in the world. I am not the girl that loves to be outside and I do mind getting sweaty and dirty. I'll do it for good reason and these days, the good reason is to be with Sam. We literally spent two hours in the sandbox yesterday...IN the sandbox. Then, we came inside for a half a minute to get the sand off and go to the pool. The only time we were inside was to sleep. He is such a boy! He doesn't walk anymore; just runs. He sleeps with a car and a truck. He can't wait for his dad to get home so that they can play monster trucks...whatever that means. Today, I think Sam asked where David was at least every 30 minutes. He doesn't do anything gentle anymore except give me a kiss and sometimes, that isn't even gentle. It makes me so thankful to have a husband who wants to be and is an incredible dad. All this rambling to say that Sam is getting big and it is exciting and nerve-wracking and emotional all at the same time. I do have to say that Sam is still very tender hearted. He still hugs me when I leave and come home and he still wants me around, but he'd rather have David home to play I think. I still put him to bed every night and get him up in the mornings and we still cuddle...but sometimes, it turns into wrestling! I guess Sam's memory verse is something I should be holding onto...Proverbs 3:5. As Sam says it: "Trust in da YORD wif ALL da heart and leeeeean NOT on your own undertanding." I will have to trust Him as Sam continues to grow and change and I am sure that I won't understand on my own very often. But, I will trust that the Lord has created Sam to be who he is and we'll do everything we can to steer him toward Jesus. And, I know and trust that the Lord will draw Him to Himself and when it all comes down to it, I just want a boy who loves Him more than anything...even me.

2 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Awe, that is a sad but exciting thing. I cannot imagine how you feel, but I am sure the Lord will give you what you need to get through this crazy time. I also can't believe it's been 2 yrs since little Sam got here. Unreal! Definitely post some pictures of this new "boy-room" (since we have places in our house called "man-rooms"). Can't wait to see it!

PS. What is the update on the new baby's room? What's the plan there?

Shelly said...

I loved your last statement....
And his own scripture reciting - just precious! We probably all could handle to have the "NOT" emphasized! :)