Friday, November 10, 2006

So, the weirdest thing happened to me today. Sam and I were playing upstairs after his nap and the doorbell rang, and of course, Tex went crazy barking and running all over the house. So, I sccoped Sam into my arms, put the dog outside and answered the door. There was a little boy standing on my doorstep...sweaty just like little boys usually are. He said "hi, I got lost on my way home from school, so I'm going to need a lift home." Mind you, this was coming out of a 6 year old's mouth. I started thinking of what I should do...do I put a child in my car who I don't even know?? what if this is some scam and I am going to be assaulted and sam is going to be hurt? and the list goes on. I told him to wait right there and I'd be back. I put him in the car and strapped Sam in his carseat and asked him where he lived. It was not far and I asked him if he wanted to call his mommy and he said no. I asked him again and again and he said no. I asked him where he went to school and what grade he was in and so forth. When we turned into his neighborhood, he said "oh, there's my mom!" so, I pulled over and started waiving and he jumped out of the car and I got Sam out of the car. She said that the whole school was looking for him and it turned out that he decided not to ride the bus and to just walk home instead. And he got lost and somehow decided to ring my doorbell which is totally random. I guess the tonka dump truck in the driveway made me look safe. On my way home, I started freaking out thinking about how his mom might think that I'm some weirdo, but I just answered my door and this little guy was standing there. It makes me wonder if there is anyone who makes sure that kids get on buses when they are just 6 years old. After this, Sam is never leaving the house...ever.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh my gosh, that is crazy! I'm so glad the Lord led him to your house instead of some other person's house. My neighbors and I got on the wrong bus the first week of kindergarten and I will never forget that horrible feeling!