Friday, October 15, 2010

Kindergarten Stuff

Kindergarten is much harder than I thought it would be! We have had some challenges this year, but the Lord is so faithful. Sam really struggled with some behavior issues in the beginning of the year. It was quite humbling (humiliating) for me as a mom. He went to the principal's office. He did things that I just didn't think he would ever do. I had to learn that my identity is not in who Sam is or how he acts. I had to understand that his actions do not dictate if I am a "good" mom or a "bad" mom. I do the best that I can with the wisdom that the Lord gives me and Sam is going to make his own decisions. And, he has to face the consequences of those decisions. There have been ( and will be more ) so many times when I just don't know what to do with Sam. David encourages me that if I am walking with the Lord and ask Him to guide me, He is faithful to do it. If I obey the Lord's guidance, then I have to trust that His wisdom will be effective. James 1:2-8 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does. "

Yesterday, Sam received the hugest compliment from two teachers. They said that Sam is the most improved student that they have. That he has grown so much in the last nine weeks and that they have loved watching him grow into someone who's heart is for other people. I am so grateful to the Lord for His faithfulness. It is only by His grace that there is any good in any of us. Philippians 2:13 "for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose."

I never would have appreciated a compliment like this if we hadn't had so many hard days. The good days are so much sweeter when there have been hard ones preceding them. I'm so grateful to be Sam's mom. He is tough kid. He definitely keeps me on my knees. He surely keeps me humble. Someone told me not long ago that in parenting Sam, I do not have the luxury of living far from the Lord. Oh, so true. I am so very desperate for the Lord's wisdom on a daily (hourly) basis when it comes to parenting. He is faithful to be there for me and to guide me.

Lord, help me to depend on you alone for wisdom. Thank you for giving me the amazing privilege of parenting. Help me do it the way you want me to. Help me to not take pride in good things my kids do, but to give the glory to you alone. Help me to not be shamed when they don't act like I want them to, but to pray for them to see the victory that comes with obedience. I trust you. Amen.

No comments: