Saturday, February 13, 2010

Family Promise Week







This week has been so full! I wouldn't trade this week for anything in my life. It has been a lot of work, but so very worth it.

On Sunday, our church began hosting three families that are part of Family Promise. A few months back, David and I were asked to be the coordinators for our church for this program. We accepted and have been preparing for this week for a while. The three families have been living in our church for the week. Each night, a group from our church brings dinner and hangs out with the families and then we have some wonderful folks who spend the night each night with them. In the mornings, the families go to work and then get back at the church at 5:00 to have dinner and shelter. It has been an incredible experience. It's been crazy for our family; David was out of town at the beginning of the week, both kids weren't feeling well in the middle of the week, and we have been at the church every day. I feel like we've had the chance to go on a mission trip without leaving our home!

Let me tell you about these families: There is one young couple that have a 18 month old. They used to live in a trailer, but a tree fell on the trailer and they didn't have insurance, so they were without a home. They had nowhere to go, so they ended up homeless. Another family actually owns a home, but a water mane burst last month and they ended up homeless. The dad works two jobs just to get by. The other family is a single mom with four kids and she became homeless after leaving a bad situation. I am so humbled by these people who are trying very, very hard to get back on their feet and become self-sufficient.

I will be so sad when these families move on to another church next week! It has been so fun to be a part of their lives, even for a short time. I am, however, looking forward to a normal week! It seems like "normal" is becoming rare around here! I hope to do a better job at keeping up the blog in the coming weeks, but no promises. :)


4 comments:

Amanda Burkett said...

I am so tremendously proud of you. You touched these families, each of them . . . You changed them, Sherry. Thank you for constantly showing each of us the love of Christ that lives in you.

The Wiggins Family said...

Thank you for taking on this challenge. I loved being apart of what I could. I loved hearing your husband talk about the families and be so completely heartbroken for them. It's truly the grace of God that allows us to be where we are in life. I don't understand it all, but know His plan is for good. Love you!
I know what you mean about keeping up a blog lately... I haven't done so great myself. haha

The Chappelles said...

Awesomeness. What an amazing experience. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Ashley Turnbull said...

I am so glad you blogged about this and put it into words. What a blessing this experience has been to you and also you to those families! God is at work, friend!!! Thanks for sharing!