Saturday, December 05, 2009

The Wonder

Christmas trees.
Lights.
Apple Cider.
Presents.
Cookies.
Parties.
Songs.
Jesus.

The season of Christmas brings so much to us. We get to see the amazement in little one's eyes as they see the tree go up and see all of the houses decorated. We get excited about getting each other the perfect thing. We tell stories of Christmases before. We remember traditions that our parents gave us. Somehow, in all of this, we get used to doing all of the Christmas things. We sometimes get annoyed at how commercialized the holiday has become. And, we start going through the motions of Christmas instead of stopping.

Stopping to remember the wonder of Christmas. Jesus. The darling of heaven. He came to earth. God came to earth. For me. For you. So that we could be saved...so that we could be free. He came as a little baby and grew up without sin to die on a cross. For me. For you. It is a wonder.

So, this Christmas, I'm going to celebrate it well. I am going to join my kids and be amazed at every little thing. I want to experience it all as if it were the first time I've ever seen the beauty. My house is decorated for the birthday of the One who came to set me free. We are giving presents in honor of Him. Everything around us is to remind us of the wonder. The Wonder. The Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Prince of Peace, Emmanuel.

He came to be with us so we could be with Him. It is the wonder of Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

The Chappelles said...

Lovely put...Merry Christmas.

Amanda Burkett said...

The darling of heaven. Ours? I'm not worthy, but I joyfully accept the gift, His gift. Can I celebrate with you? Can we all rejoice together this year. Not be hectic, not crazed, not stressed. I want to be happy, enraptured, amazed. Just like Ben and Cameron. Just like you! Love you!

The Wiggins Family said...

What a beautiful story it is and to be apart of it thrills my heart. Thanks Sherry for the reminder. I'll be reading this post again. Love you!