Saturday, August 16, 2008

First Day of School


Sam in his school uniform


I can hardly believe that Sam is starting preschool.  He will be attending The Woodlands Christian Academy this year and will go every Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to noon!  I am so excited for him because I really think that he is ready to be in a "school" environment.  The child loves to learn new things and is starting to become very sociable.   His teacher, Mrs. Johnson seems absolutely wonderful!  

We had our first day this past Thursday.  It was a short day so that the kids could get used to their classroom and so that the parents could get used to leaving the kids in a classroom.  After we dropped the kids off, we all went to the library for "orientation."  We actually had a chance to really get to know the other parents in the class, which was really fun.  We are already doing a playdate together on Monday so the kids can see one another again before school on Tuesday...their first real day!  

I was so proud of Sam when we dropped him off.  We walked in and Mrs. Johnson handed him his nametag.  He put it on, walked in the class like a big boy and sat down at a table and started playing with playdough! When it was time to get the kids, we waited in the hall and saw all of these three year olds walking down the hall in a line all talking ninety to nothing.  I could hear Sam say that he is a big kid.  When he saw me, he ran to me and held onto me for about five minutes and then did the same with his daddy.  It was a moment that I will never, ever forget.  After school, David and I took Sam to Red Robin for lunch to celebrate.  It was the first time that both of us had been alone with just Sam since Jacob was born, so that was a special time.  Sam was so sweet and asked why Jacob couldn't come with us!  

I really am so excited for Sam, but I am going to miss him being in my presence constantly.  I do feel like he is equipped to go to school and I think that he is going to have a ton of fun.  I am praying that he will not lose his confidence and that he will grow this year.  Oh, I love that kid.  He keeps me laughing and on my knees.  He keeps me honest, even at just three.  He keeps Jacob smiling and he just makes this house full of fun.  I know, he's only going to be gone four hours twice a week, but right now, that seems like a lot to me!  Don't even talk to me about kindergarten!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm so glad it went well! He looks so cute in his uniform.

The Wiggins Family said...

Sherry- He has gotten so big. How did the time fly by so fast? Love you!