Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Every year, my parents take us on an amazing ski trip. We go to Park City, Utah for a week and enjoy the amazing rocky mountains, spend time as a family, and relax a ton. It is something I look forward to every year from the day we get back until the day we go. My dad always finds the perfect place for us to stay and my mom always makes sure we have every food we could want available. Dad makes endless starbucks runs and mom gives David, me, Bryan and Amy a chance to ski while she watches the kids. So, needless to say, I was so excited to go on our trip last week. We left Wednesday morning to join my family that was already there. Sam was an angel on the plane...he played for about an hour and then slept the next two hours. He had a ball in the airport looking at all the airplanes and watching all of the activity. When we arrived at the house, he played with his cousin, Caleb, wrestling and playing with monster trucks. We went into town and played in the snow and I just couldn't wait for the morning to come so David and I could get out on the slopes. Sam went down at 7:00. Then, he woke up at 10:30. I thought he was just scared in his room since it was unfamiliar, so I went in and he was as hot as a fireball. He had a fever and was panting like a puppy; and, he had thrown up. I felt so sorry for the little guy and thought that he had altitude sickness and was sure that we would be better in the morning. By 8:00 a.m., he wasn't better, so we took him to the doctor. He was so lethargic and fell asleep in the waiting room and slept through the whole exam. The doctor found that he had a double ear infection and put him on an antibiotic. He slept until 2:30 that afternoon and then went to bed at 8:00. The night was long...I don't even remember most of it, except laying next to the twin bed that I put him in and praying that he'd get better soon. His fever wasn't breaking and he was in so much pain. He kept throwing up anything that he drank, and he didn't eat anything at all. He would just look at me and say "mama, hurts...kiss". i wish that a kiss could fix him! Unfortunately, Sam didn't get any better after two more days, so, we headed back to the doctor and he had a 104 tempurature...yikes. After a long exam, the doctor decided to put him on a different antibiotic. I texted some of my dear friends and they started praying for him, too. Thankfully, Sam started to want to play a little after we had been home for a couple of hours. By Sunday, he was acting more like himself and even kept a little bit of oatmeal down. David and I spent the morning in the house with him and then met my parents for lunch at the lodge. Sam was in a much better mood and I was so thankful and knew that the Lord had touched the little guy because seriously, no medicine could have made him better so quickly. He went back to the house with my parents and David and I skiied for a while, which I felt good about, since I knew that Sam was asleep. Then, we got up the next morning and headed home and again, he was great on the plane. So, this ski trip wasn't exactly how I would have planned it, but it was still good. I got to cuddle my baby and pray like crazy over him. The house that we stayed in was amazing and I got to watch snow fall and sun rise and praise the One who made it all. I had my whole family together, which is such a priceless thing. Most of all, I got to see that the Lord does hear me when I pray and answer me. There is truly nothing that is too hard for Him, and there is nothing too small to take to His throne room. He is a tender, loving God and I'm so thankful He's mine!

1 comment:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Oh, I am SO sorry about that! How terrible! Poor little Sam and his sickness - well, lucky you that you did have the entire Chappelle clan to help take care of the sick one. I hope you got at least a little relaxing done and made the best of your days on the slopes!

PS. Your trips always remind me of the trip to Tahoe our junior year -and you are right, Ginger always had food available and Hal was always more than willing to take us places in the mini-van. Oh, those were the days!